Monday, November 29, 2021

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ One of the best books I've read all year!
 


Firekeeper’s Daughter by @angelineboulley is a stunning book. From the gorgeous front cover to the very last page, I was enthralled by Boulley’s vivid and suspenseful storytelling.


Daunis, 18, is a character who will stay with you. I loved her fierce strength of character and her deep cultural connections to her Ojibwe community despite her position as a nonenrolled member. I was invested in this coming-of-age story early on, but when Duanis witnesses a murder and gets pulled into an FBI investigation, I could barely put it down. Truly, I stayed up way past my bedtime turning the pages on this book and finished it in a weekend. There are so many layers, twists and turns - it was a five star read for me and probably one of the best books I’ve read all year.

Angeline Boulley shares incredible insight into the modern Native experience, highlighting a depth of culture and strength of community, the necessity of belonging, and the injustices faced by Indigenous peoples both historically and today. This is her debut novel and I cannot wait to see what she writes next. Firekeeper’s Daughter is a YA (young adult) book and I would recommend it to anyone but be mindful of the content, especially if you have advanced younger readers. I’ll absolutely encourage my kids to read it someday & I’m glad to see it being chosen widely by educators and book clubs everywhere.
🔥🏒🦉📖

cw: gun violence, drug abuse, sexual assault, mature language, death, overdose, grief

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Well Matched

Well Matched by Jen DeLuca My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews